St Davids

The village of Nottage is much older than either Newton or Porthcawl. The village is of Saxon origin, its original name being Llanddewi – “the enclosure around the Church of St. David”. It has been argued that Nottage was originally build with defence in mind as it was possible, via a small sea inlet that existed in the distant past, for marauders such as the Irish or Vikings to reach into the village itself. This old village was of considerable size and would surely have had a place of worship. This structure would be of wood, however no evidence of its location remains, just the name of Heol-y-Capel. The existence of a Church within Nottage is shown in a manorial roll of 1597, which shows an item for rent for the farm of the Chapel and a survey of Pembroke Manor of 1630 which confirmed the existence of a Church.

When the Normans founded the Abbey Church at Margam in 1147 they set out to suppress the native Welsh. Place names were changed to avoid the growth of Welsh patriotism and name ‘Nottage’ (from the Old English Hnot – “a pollarded ash tree”) came into use.

With the building of the stone Church within the nearby village of Newton in 1190 the old church building of Nottage would have been left to rot as the community life would have centred around Newton. The Parish of Nottage was joined to the Parish of Newton and no Church existed within the village until shortly after the second world war.

Below is a section of a map from around 1877 showing details of the centre of Nottage village. The Graveyard is now the Village Green.

Nottage Village


In 1948 a generous gift of land by Mr. John Blundell enabled a small wooden structure to be erected.

The previous St Davids Church The building was in fact an old Army Church hut that had been purchased from a RAF camp that was being closed down following the end of the war.
It was dedicated by the Bishop of Llandaff on the 24th March 1948 and served the village well as the church until its demolition in January 1992. Inside the old St David's Church
Service at the pervious St David's Church The decision to replace the old wooden Church was taken on St. David’s Day 1989, and would include the construction of an adjoining Church hall that would double as a village community hall.

Funds were raised through public subscription and donations and the new building designed by a local Architect and member of the Church, Mr. Peter Millis.

This building is the Church as we know it today and was consecrated on 15th November 1992. The bell from the old Church was saved and re-hung in the new building. St Davids Church, Nottage

The Alter of St Davids Church
Jesus on the Cross above the Altar
The Altar and vision of Christ on the Cross of the new building.

At the entrance to the Church is displayed a carving of St David in marble.

Engraving outside Church
Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: